New Australia resident check list
What a new Australian resident should complete after arriving at Australia? (19/12/2019 (2 years ago))


Welcome to Australia! Before enjoying your new beautiful life on this great land, there are something you have to do first. Even some of them require you to complete within one year after your first arrival.

1. Apply for a TFN (Tax File Number)


1.1 Why do I need a TFN?

  • Your tax file number (TFN) is your personal reference number in the tax and super systems.
  • Your TFN is an important part of your tax and super records as well as your identity, so keep it secure.
  • Your TFN is yours for life. You keep the same TFN even if you change your name, change jobs, move interstate or go overseas.
  • You don't have to have a TFN, but without one you pay more tax. You also won't be able to apply for government benefits, lodge your tax return electronically or get an Australian business number (ABN).
  • You will be asked to provide a TFN when you get a job or open a bank account. If you do't provide one, you will be charged more tax.

1.2 How to apply?

As an Australia resident, you can apply:

  • at Australia Post

    1. Complete an online form
    2. Print the summary, which will include your application reference number, and take it to your Australia Post interview.
    3. Book your interview through Australia Post Web Site
    4. Attend the interview at a participating Australia Post outlet within 30 days of completing your online form. You'll need to take your printed summary and proof of identity documents to the interview. You will be required to sign the application at Australia Post upon completion of the interview.
  • at a Department of Human Services (Centrelink) centre

    1. Download and complete the form: Tax file number – application or enquiry for individuals form
    2. phoning 1300 720 092 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    3. asking for one from Centrelink
    4. Make sure you have originals of your proof of identity documents (see the instructions on the form for details of the documents you'll need) and attend a Department of Human Services (Centrelink) service centre.
  • by post

    1. Down and complete the form: Tax file number – application or enquiry for individuals form
    2. phoning 1300 720 092 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    3. Send your TFN application and certified copies of your identification documents to the address listed on the form.
      Don't mail your original identification documents – documents that you mail to us may not be returned to you.

For details, please reference government website

2. Medicare Card


2.1 Why do I need a medicare card

Individuals are not legally required to have a Medicare card, to carry it with them, or to produce it on request. The primary purpose of the Medicare card is to prove eligibility when seeking Australian Medicare-subsidised care from a medical practitioner or hospital.

2.2 What documents do I need to bring?

You need to bring one of the documents below:

  • birth certificate
  • current driver’s licence
  • current passport.

You also need to complete a form
And you need an Australia postal address so that they can mail the card to you when it is ready

2.3 Where can I apply

You can apply at any service centre which can be found through the link

2.4 How long will I get the card

The card will be mailed to you in 3 or 4 weeks.
You will be told the card number straight away. And you can get a digital card by following the link

3. Life Time Health Cover Letter


3.1 Do I need a life time health cover letter?

You will need one when you:

  • At or over 31 years old
  • You want to purchase private health insurance

3.2 What can I do with Life Time Health Cover Letter?

Lifetime health cover (LHC) is a government initiative designed to encourage you to purchase and maintain private patient hospital cover earlier in life.

If you have not taken out and maintained private patient hospital cover from the year you turn 31, you will pay a 2% LHC loading on top of your premium for every year you are aged over 30, if you decide to take out hospital cover later in life.

For example, if you take out private patient hospital cover when you are 40 years old, you could pay an extra 20% on the cost of this cover per year for 10 years. If you wait until you are 50 years old, you could pay 40% more per year for 10 years. The maximum LHC loading that can be applied is 70%. Once you have paid LHC loading for 10 years of continuous cover, you will no longer have to pay this loading.

With Life Time Health Cover Letter, and if you purchase private health insurance within one year, you don't need to pay this extra LHC loading.

3.3 How can I apply?

There is an option in the form when you apply for the medicare card. Select "Yes" in the form, and also remind the staff in the service centre to issue one for you.

3.4 Will this letter be expired?

This letter is only valid for a year

4. myGov


4.1 What is myGov?

myGov is a secure way to access government services online with one login and one password.

4.2 Why do I need one?

It is almost "mandatory" to have a myGov account if you decide to live in Australia.
By using it, you can lodge your tax return, claim your welfare benefits and do anything else related to your living in Australia.

4.3 How to apply

Go to myGov website and click "Create an account"

5. Transfer an oversea driver license


5.1 Do I have to transfer my oversea driver license?

As an Australian resident, in most states or territories in Australia, you are only allowed to drive 3 months with your oversea driver license, while in VIC, you are allowed to drive 6 months with your foreign driver license.

5.2 Something you need to remember before you transfer your license

  • Please make sure your original license is not broken and in good condition. If the cover or the seal of license is broken, you'd better apply for a new one before you come to Australia or you need to get some proval document from related authorities. Otherwise, the road department of local state or territory won't recognise it.
  • Your foreign language driver license needs to be translated by recognised translator. Please find the detail requirement on website of different states and territories
  • Some states or territories such as NSW provide free translation service if you apply for it within one year after your first arrival at Australia
  • Only license issued by a certain number of recognised foreign licensing authorities can be directly transferred without any test, please check the detail requirement on website of different states and territories

5.3 Regulations of states and territories

6. Australia Senior Card


6.1 What is a senior card

Each state and territory has a Seniors Card scheme and some reciprocal arrangements are in place for using your card in other states. It is a free card providing transport concessions and participating business discounts on a range of goods and services.

6.2 Can I apply?

To be eligible you must be a resident of the state, 60 years of age or over, and not working more than a set numbers of hours per week in paid employment.

6.3 What can I get with the senior card

With senior card, you can get discounts (Usually 10% off) for lots of services such as:

  • Public transportation
  • Insurance
  • Car rego
  • Dental

For details, please check the official websites of different states or territories

7. AMEP - Adult Migrant English Program


7.1 What is AMEP?

AMEP is funded by the Australian Government and provides up to 510 hours of free English language lessons to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants. If you have been granted a permanent visa or an eligible temporary visa and speak little or no English, you may be eligible for AMEP. Some migrant youths aged between 15 and 17 years of age may also be eligible.

In an AMEP class, you will learn English language skills and information about Australian society. You will meet other new arrivals and may make new friends. These together will help you and your family settle successfully in Australia. English language skills are also very important if you wish to work in Australia.

AMEP is delivered by approved service providers and taught by teachers who are trained to teach English to speakers of other languages.

7.2 How do I enrol?

To access English language tuition through AMEP, you must register with an approved AMEP service provider within six months of arriving in Australia or from visa commencement. You must begin English classes within 12 months of arriving in Australia or from your visa commencement.

You have five years from your date of arrival in Australia or visa commencement to learn English through AMEP. You may be eligible for additional lessons depending on your needs. If you do not meet the time limits, an AMEP service provider can apply for an extension on your behalf in certain circumstances.

Your service provider will help you choose a class that will best suit your needs to help ensure the best possible result for you. There are full-time and part-time classes at different times and in different places so you can learn when and where it suits you.

undefined comments0 like

Similar Articles